Skip to main content

Do we define a materials worth or it defines our worth?

 


I have been thinking about this ever since this happened to me. I have talked about quality and reputed brands in my previous blogs but I came across a situation where I was attracted towards luxury brands especially handbags. Initially I thought that was a waste of money and who will pay that hefty amount for a piece of handbag. But when my brother in law asked what I wanted from US as he was buying stuff for us I quickly started searching for luxury handbags because the ones that cost 10k here are only 3k in US. I was searching for a while and my husband asked me a question. “Why do you need one more bag when you have other bags? Are you going to use it? You're working from home and where will you carry the expensive bag? The other bags you bought are still lying in the closet. Besides this is all that money worth it?” 
This had me thinking. I have already been trying to reduce my closet and bag collection and posted few items on poshmark. Besides this even if I buy the bag Im not travelling to office so will rarely use it. And based on the price of that bag I guess I can invest that in a better place considering my current salary.

Now this takes be back to my initial question. Who am I buying this for? Is it because I want to feel rich? I'll add one more small story. My best friend from school got a Michael kors bag (Which was expensive as hell for the price she paid in India). She took it to her clg mates wedding and on her way back she picked me up and I recognised her bags brand and told her she must be having lots of money to splurge on this one. She was happy when she heard it and said how her clg friends dint recognise the brand and how it was a waste that she took it to that wedding.

I realised I knew that brand because I watched few celebrities owning it on YouTube and few YouTubers go gaga about their first luxury purchase. Others dint know abt it and cared the least.

So based on my analysis my conclusion is if your extremely rich you define the worth of mid range brands like Caprese, Baggit, Puma etc.. Because the celebrities like Alia Bhatt, Shraddha Kapoor, Anushka Sharma become ambassadors of these brands and promote them hence defining their worth. But when it comes to luxury brands I guess the companies define the worth and even celebrities pay the price to sustain their image in their ultra rich social circle.

When common people like us own mid range products we feel we are rich and when we own this luxury brands we feel we are ultra rich but then for people like Elon musk/Mark Zuckerberg whatever they wear it doesn't matter. They define the worth for everything they own.

So what should we do?
Buy items only when you think it's worth the money you spend on it and not to maintain certain standard in the society. My mom got a jute bag from a local market few years back and it's still in good condition and durable. She also has a Caprese bag that I got here which is also in good condition and she loves it. I searched a lot about laptops and ended up getting a MacBook which I absolutely think is worth every penny. You get to decide for yourself. If you think something is worth the money and you are looking for it then maybe you must buy it. Don't buy something just for people to praise you.

Will I buy a luxury bag? Not really sure. Maybe when I feel like buying it or when its worth becomes less than 1% of the money I make maybe ill think about it :P.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Clothing lessons I learnt๐Ÿ’ƒ

Growing up my parents used to buy clothing only 3-4 times a year mainly during festive seasons or sometimes when they needed any piece of clothing. They dint have television nor internet so they as consumers had the freedom to decide and mindfully buy the stuff they need only when they need it unlike our generation. Here we turn our tv on or any social media platform it bombards us with lot of products which dint exist in the previous era and we are tricked into believe that these are essentials. There is some sale or offer going on every other day on the online shopping platforms. We have piled up our closets with skin care, hair care products, slippers, clothes, bags, home essentials etc.. Im also guilty of piling my closet up. So here are the clothing lessons I learnt:  1. Don't buy a new skin care or hair care product unless the previous one is over. 2. Invest in quality over quantity. Im not that kind of person who looks into brands while I purchase stuff. If something feels...

A post for my 2nd Anniversary ๐Ÿ‘ซ ๐Ÿ’“

  It's been 2 years and there is a lot to share but I'll try to keep it simple. Meanwhile I hope you can take away some good things from here. WEDDING STORY: I had an arranged marriage as many of you know. The first time I met him I did not overthink it. He just looked calm and quiet (maybe shy or awkward). It was my first time that a prospective groom came to our house. I had nothing in my head. It was around April 2021. My sister said ‘he didn't look at you straight and maybe he isn't interested in the wedding’. I felt the same because when our families discussed future aspirations he said he wanted to do MBA and was waiting for results from IIM Lucknow. At that time I felt that if he converts IIM Lucknow, how will I go and live there for the next 2 years? I din't want to resign from my job. So we just waited for his results and he got rejected from IIML. It was sad but this is what led to our wedding ๐Ÿ˜‚.  FIGHTS: Our fights were crazy back in the day. It was new ...

Stop overthinking and Do it

Hello Everyone. We always wanted to grow up and become adults while we were kids but now everyday we wish we were back to being kids once again enjoying the simple life except preparing for exams and the homework;). The best part about being a kid is the energy each one of us spread literally lighting up the room as soon as we enter. We used to bring smile on everyone’s face.   Hopping around everywhere, sometimes falling down is also okay because I fell from the first floor of my grandma’s home when I tried to pick fruits from a tree. Don’t panic I survived :P. I know that was dangerous but it was a learning process which helped me calculate the distance of the tree next time. Somewhere as we grew older we tend to loose the amazing energy and courage we had as kids and are often thinking about others opinions about us and on the work we do.   We are scared and are often a pessimist even before starting the things we want to do.  So whatever you want to do just start and ...