Skip to main content

Consumerism - Minimalism (Part - 2)

 

Well let's first understand this term consumerism. It means encouraging the consumption of goods and services as a never ending cycle. So in simple words we the people are consumers who will constantly be bombarded with ads promoting that we need certain things to increase our standard of living. 

What's wrong in increasing the standard of living?

Let's be honest there's nothing wrong. It is good to get stuff that ease our lives like mixer and grind instead of the old ways of grinding spices, television for entertainment, mobile phone for communication, vehicle for travelling.

So where does the problem arise?

It arrises when we start buying more stuff than we actually need just because we saw a ad saying the existing one is not good. We will always find something better coming up in the market each day. It has become a way of life. 

Most of the time the products are purposefully made so fragile that we end up replacing them. Eg: The glass back on mobile phones are good looking but what's the point when we can't carry it without a case because it is fragile. Previous phones had plastic or metal back which was at least durable. Moreover the normal phones become slow in a span of 2 years and battery capacity becomes bad and we are forced to push our budgets up to buy a better lasting phone next time. We all know how products where made 20 yrs back. Our Nokia phones which were durable and long lasting is one example. 

I remember my parents had the same refrigerator for a span of 20 yrs but the ones we buy these days hardly last 6 years without needing a repair. Services for the normal products are also bad. We end up paying not only for the product but also for the all the service and expenses that come along with it.

What to do now?

Just being mindful of what we buy. If we buy electronics buy the ones that have good service centre and take care of your device by placing it away from water and keeping dedicated space to store them and charging them properly by not waiting till they drain off. Buy stuff only when u need them and not because of social pressure to look cool. Last thing, buy what adds value to your life and serves purpose.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stop overthinking and Do it

Hello Everyone. We always wanted to grow up and become adults while we were kids but now everyday we wish we were back to being kids once again enjoying the simple life except preparing for exams and the homework;). The best part about being a kid is the energy each one of us spread literally lighting up the room as soon as we enter. We used to bring smile on everyone’s face.   Hopping around everywhere, sometimes falling down is also okay because I fell from the first floor of my grandma’s home when I tried to pick fruits from a tree. Don’t panic I survived :P. I know that was dangerous but it was a learning process which helped me calculate the distance of the tree next time. Somewhere as we grew older we tend to loose the amazing energy and courage we had as kids and are often thinking about others opinions about us and on the work we do.   We are scared and are often a pessimist even before starting the things we want to do.  So whatever you want to do just start and ...

Importance of having your own space

This is a taboo topic in India. I stayed with my parents till 12th grade. Then I moved to college for the next 4 years. Even while I was in college I wasn't practically alone because I had room mates and the same thing happened after I joined work as I stayed in working women's hostel. Then covid happened and I got married during covid and moved to his parents place. Our own space there was our room. Then 10 months later we shifted to Bangalore for study and work reasons and it was the first time in my life that I got an entire space to myself. My husband got his own space inside his college (A single room). While I stayed with my parents my job was to just take care of myself, eat and study. When I moved to hostel I had to tackle my laundry as well. Same happened in working women's hostel but extra responsibility was to pay my rent, tackle my finances and travel. Cooking became an extra part of our schedules wherein we make dishes occasionally. Each and every step of this ...

Clothing lessons I learnt💃

Growing up my parents used to buy clothing only 3-4 times a year mainly during festive seasons or sometimes when they needed any piece of clothing. They dint have television nor internet so they as consumers had the freedom to decide and mindfully buy the stuff they need only when they need it unlike our generation. Here we turn our tv on or any social media platform it bombards us with lot of products which dint exist in the previous era and we are tricked into believe that these are essentials. There is some sale or offer going on every other day on the online shopping platforms. We have piled up our closets with skin care, hair care products, slippers, clothes, bags, home essentials etc.. Im also guilty of piling my closet up. So here are the clothing lessons I learnt:  1. Don't buy a new skin care or hair care product unless the previous one is over. 2. Invest in quality over quantity. Im not that kind of person who looks into brands while I purchase stuff. If something feels...